con·scious·ness [kon-shuhs-nis] noun
- awareness of one’s own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.; the state of being conscious
- the thoughts and feelings, collectively, of an individual or of an aggregate of people
- full activity of the mind and senses, as in waking life
- awareness of something for what it is; internal knowledge: consciousness of self
- the mental activity of which a person is aware as contrasted with unconscious mental processes.
- the mind or the mental faculties as characterized by thought, feelings, and volition.